Situation in Guantanamo Bay Worsens

Washington, May 31 (Prensa Latina) The hunger strike of more than a hundred detainees at the U.S. prison in Guantanamo Bay, an occupied territory in southeastern Cuba, has worsened in recent days, reported today the British newspaper The Guardian.

The digital version of The Guardian says that 103 detainees remain on hunger strike (over 100 days), with 36 of them being force-fed by military authorities and five in hospital, even though President Barack Obama promised action to close the illegal jail.

It also states that inmates are subjected to intimidating body searches and other restrictions to prevent them from talking to their lawyers and also to break their resolve.

Since Obama discussed the issue last week, the number of strikers has not dropped and nothing has changed, said Carlos Warner, a lawyer for several inmates.

Others who work with the detainees said they feared the media spotlight would move on from the issue, despite the fact that nothing concrete has yet emerged from Obama’s speech.

“It would be a terrible mistake by the administration to think that they have dealt with this with one speech,” said Omar Farah, a lawyer at the Centre for Constitutional Rights which works with numerous prisoners who are striking

sc/isa/ocs/lb

Modificado el ( viernes, 31 de mayo de 2013 )

  Prensa Latina

Advertisements

Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s